Friday, January 25, 2013

NEST Recipe - Heart shaped Norwegian waffles


I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to live in Norway for a little while with my mom's family, and something I remember making heart shaped waffles for dessert on cold snowy nights before snuggling up next to a wood burning stove. 

You don't have to have a heart shaped waffle iron to make these, but it's a plus! 

(I've directly translated this recipe from Norwegian)

125 gr (1 stick) melted butter
50 gr (1/2 cup) sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
4 eggs
250 gr (2 3/4 cups) flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 - 1/4 milk (or buttermilk) 
spices optional: a little pinch of cardamom, nutmeg, and cinnamon 

Whisk melted butter, vanilla extract, salt, sugar, and eggs together until you get a light consistency (I use an electric whisk). Sift flour and baking powder and carefully stir into the butter/sugar mixture. Add milk and give the mixture a good whisk. 

Most waffle irons don't require you to butter or oil the hot plate before each waffle, but some might. If you're required to, put a little vegetable oil or butter on hotplate before each waffle. Cook 4-6 minutes each, or until waffle iron tells you it's done. 

Toppings: My favorite are butter with strawberry or raspberry jam, or butter with sprinkled sugar and cinnamon. 

Enjoy! 

photos by me

No comments:

Post a Comment